Our regulators

The Homes and Communities Agency is the national housing and regeneration agency for England, with a capital investment budget of nearly £7bn. They contribute to economic growth by helping communities to realise their aspirations for prosperity and to deliver high-quality housing that people can afford. They also the regulate all social housing providers (like Teign Housing) in England.

They set the consumer and economic standards that we must meet. The economic standards apply to all registered providers except for local authorities. Our board is responsible for making sure our organisation meets the economic standards. The three economic standards are; Governance and Financial Viability standard , Value for Money standard and Rent standard.

The Localism Act 2011 specifies the Regulator’s role in, and its approach to, regulating the consumer standards. Our board is also responsible for making sure we meet the consumer standards. The HCA’s role is limited to setting the consumer standards and they will only intervene when our failure to meet the standard would put tenants at serious risk of harm. The four consumer standards are; Tenant Involvement and Empowerment, Home, Tenancy and Neighbourhood and Community.