An exciting opportunity within Templer Homebuild Ltd based in Newton Abbot is seeking a Carpentry Apprentice to join our teams in September 2018. You’ll be the face of Templer Homebuild Ltd carrying out carpentry activities within occupied residential properties, empty properties and public buildings in Newton Abbot & surrounding areas.
We don’t want to hammer our point home, but we think our apprenticeship programme is one of the best! You will attend college at least one day a week to study your chosen trade; whilst gaining practical experience working on our customer sites with our expert tradespeople who will help plumb any gaps in your knowledge.
Reliable, punctual and able to work in all weathers, you must live locally and be able to get to site. You will need GCSEs/GCSE equivalents in English and Maths, with grades C/4 and above being desirable.
We are looking for people who are enthusiastic and committed, with good practical and coordination skills and an interest in their chosen trade. Being a team player whilst being able to work independently is also important, as is being willing to learn, a ‘can do’ attitude and strong communication skills.
We offer a structured apprenticeship programme, a very competitive salary and the opportunity to work on a variety of different sites whilst working towards your Level 2 qualification. There is also the potential to work towards your Level 3 qualification. We are looking for apprentices who will in time progress through the company.
As a carpentry apprentice you will attend college, as well as work on site. This will include:
• Thinking like a carpenter – measuring, sourcing and ordering the correct materials.
• Thinking like a customer champion – communicating well and giving great customer service to commercial and private residents.
• Thinking like a detective – paying attention to detail and solving problems.
• Thinking like a soldier – with an ability to adapt to various working conditions.
How do I apply?
Now you’ve decided an apprenticeship is for you, how do you apply for one with Templer Homebuild Ltd? Click on the link at the bottom of the page and attach your CV AND a cover letter to apply successfully. You can attach both documents by clicking on ‘browse’ and once you have uploaded one document you can upload another. If you prefer, you can copy and paste your cover letter into the ‘supporting statement’ box. If you choose to attach both documents you will have to type the letter ‘X’ into the supporting statement box or it won’t let you submit your application!
Once we receive your CV AND cover letter, we will review your application and score against the below ten points. The more evidence you can provide against these points, the higher your score and the more likely you are to be interviewed!
Please read the ten points carefully. There is one point for:
1. Giving us your full contact details including your name, home address, email address and phone number (preferably mobile). You must give all of these contact details to get the point.
2. Attaching a cover letter. The next 4 points relate to what you write in your cover letter.
3. Telling us in your cover letter why you have applied for an Templer Homebuild Ltd apprenticeship.
4. Telling us in your cover letter why you are applying for your chosen trade apprenticeship (painting, electrics etc).
5. Telling us in your cover letter what you think an apprenticeship involves.
6. Telling us in your cover letter what you think makes a good applicant for an Templer Homebuild Ltd apprenticeship.
7. Attaching a CV. The next 3 points relate to what you write in your CV.
8. Telling us in your CV your grades or predicted grades for your GCSEs or equivalents. Listing all your subjects with no grades will not score the point.
9. Telling us in your CV if you achieved a grade 4 or above in Maths and English (grade 6 in Maths for electrician apprentices.)
10. Telling us in your CV if you take part in any sociable hobbies or competitive sports. Examples where you would score a point (but are not limited to) include:
• Playing for a football/rugby/hockey team
• Singing in a choir/song group
To apply for the Templer Homebuild Ltd apprenticeship scheme, click here. You will need to select the region you want to work in (South West) and under these regions are listed all the apprenticeships we have available in that area. You may have to scroll through other available jobs until you find the apprenticeship positions.
The Templer Homebuild Ltd apprentice application process is hosted on the Ian Williams Ltd website, this explains the reference to Ian Williams.
We reserve the right to shortlist before the closing date.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we regret that we are only able to contact candidates that we will be inviting into interview. Therefore, should you not hear from us by the middle of June 2018, please assume on this occasion that you have not been successful.
Please do not apply for this vacancy through the Teign Housing website – this vacancy is being managed by Ian Williams and you must apply via the method listed above.