Universal Credit has arrived: full service starts now

Universal Credit has now arrived in Teignbridge. If you need to make a new claim for benefits, you’ll no longer be able to apply for JobSeekers Allowance, Housing Benefit or Employment and Support Allowance.

Instead, you’ll have to make an online claim for Universal Credit. This is a single monthly payment that replaces a number of old benefits. It can only be paid into a bank account, and there is a delay until your first payment.  You need to claim immediately to avoid missing out on money you are owed as UC is not backdated like old benefits can be.

If you claim benefits already, you should prepare now in case your circumstances change. Any change such as a new child, new job, house move or different health condition will mean you’ll have to make a claim for Universal Credit, rather than continue with the benefits you currently receive.

Our Universal Credit website pages have plenty of advice and tips on how to prepare and how to make a claim.

For more information on what’s happening with Universal Credit,click here