At Templer HomeBuild , our mission is “To be loved by our customers and employees”, and as part of this, we are invested in developing our people, to support the growth and future success of Templer HomeBuild.
As part of this, we have an exciting opportunity based in our Newton Abbot office as well other opportunities across the wider business at Ian Williams, for you to join our Trainee Surveyor programme in April 2023.
- £20,446 if you are qualified to Level 3/ equivalent, for example A Levels; Level 3 Apprenticeship; NVQ Level 3 or Advanced Diploma.
- £24,341 if you are qualified to degree level/ equivalent.
- Be part of our company profit share scheme
- Let us help you prepare for your future with an employer pension contribution of up to 7%
- 23 days annual leave, buy up to 5 days or sell up to 3 days per year
- 6 monthly and annual pay reviews
- Training and development opportunities
- We want our employees to have a well balanced work/ life balance, therefore flexible working patterns would be considered.
The Trainee Surveyor role:
You’ll have responsibility from day one; your time will be split between “on the job” training and working on live projects. You’ll learn all the skills you’ll need for a bright future in our growing business from our experienced Surveyors and Business Managers.
As a Trainee Surveyor, you will learn how to actively price materials and labour for our repairs and maintenance workstream, focusing on reducing costs and improving efficiencies, therefore having a real impact on our profitability and our commercial success.
How will you do this?
- Initially supporting, but developing responsibility for the financial and technical aspects of the contract, including procurement, invoicing, payments, cash flow and cost control
- You will learn to understand how to create cost efficiencies where possible, maximising value and ultimately making a profit
- Collaboration- you will meet and work with direct labour and subcontractors, understanding their roles and expectations of the service we deliver in the response product
- We will instil confidence in your communication, to develop and maintain relationships with your team, customers, subcontractors, suppliers, and our client
- You will learn how to procure materials and sub contractors, through negotiation skills
- You will support and learn how to produce monthly commercial reports, including Cost Value Reconciliations, so you become accountable for the cost and profit of the contract
- As your training progresses, you will be involved in tendering and winning new work and managing relationships with our key clients.
You may not identify with all the terminology, but that is where the Trainee Surveyor programme, your mentor and the business will support you in your development journey.
You will join other trainees in attending a structured modular training programme delivered by our own Academy, and, depending on your experience, you could also achieve further professional qualifications externally i.e. Level 4 Apprenticeship Quantity Surveying.
On completion of your training scheme, you will begin on the Ian Williams Surveyor pathway, and we are proud to say that many of our trainees have progressed to management roles within Ian Williams.
Who you are
As a minimum you will need to be educated to at least A-level standard, or equivalent i.e Level 3. You will have achieved a Maths GCSE (or equivalent) grade 4/C or above.
Although not essential to your application, a surveying related qualification, or industry experience would be advantageous.
You may have completed some work experience in the industry already, or be completely new to it – but either way we would expect you to show passion and acknowledgment/ understanding for the work we do.
You would describe yourself as having a logical, analytical approach, an interest in numeracy/ maths, excellent IT skills. You enjoy engaging with a wide variety of people, including internal and external stakeholders, whether its building rapport within the team, negotiating or building relations with new contacts.
- Complete the online application form and attach your CV by the closing date of 24th January 2023
- If shortlisted, you’ll be invited to a telephone interview, following this you will be sent two exercises to complete
- If successful, we would be delighted to invite you to meet the Manager in your local office
Additional Benefits include:
- Access to an employee assistance program to support employee’s health and wellbeing
- A car allowance will be honoured after successful completion of two Performance Reviews (average time to achieve this is 14 months).
- Enhanced maternity/ paternity pay
- Trade discounts from our preferred suppliers for you and your friends and family
- Specsavers vouchers
- For information on all other additional benefits we do, to enhance your work/life balance please visit our website
About Templer HomeBuild
We deliver a comprehensive responsive repairs service (including gas servicing and repairs) as well as offering a host of additional property services such as planned maintenance works, voids, cyclical painting solutions and appliance testing and repairs.
We are passionate about people and firmly believe that our success will only be maintained if we continue to offer you a great place to work, support you with the right benefits and provide you with the opportunity to develop your career and fulfil your potential.
We reserve the right to shortlist prior to the closing date based on application volumes.
Templer HomeBuild is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is more than a commitment at Templer HomeBuild—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity and all other characteristics that make us different.
Templer HomeBuild will use applicants details for recruitment purposes only. For more information please read our Candidate Privacy Notice located at our website.
To apply for the position, please follow this link to the Templer HomeBuild website: https://www.templerhomebuild.co.uk/jobs/trainee-surveyor/